Blake's Journey

Blake Tyler James Fenton born on the 17th June 2011


''This blog is about a journey through pregnancy, finding out that our child would be born with a Cleft lip & Palate, and also coping with a rare pregnancy condition. Dealing with the everything that comes our way, as a family. Caring and supporting our beautiful son Blake... and his amazing big sister Tia, this blog has been written by me, Jemma Kathleen Fenton (was Paley) in the hope that it touches many peoples hearts as Blake has touched ours. My goal is to help raise
awareness and money, I hope to helps other parents going through the same situation.''
I am happy to support any parents out there you can contact me through email: brassbuttons@hotmail.co.uk

Thursday 11 September 2014

It's all gravy!

Hello Everyone!


Yesterday we had some fantastic new! We had an appointment with the cleft team to discuss Blake's next surgery. We decided on this at the previous appointment as I wanted to be absolutely sure the surgery was needed. So we set off to Salisbury hospital to meet Mr Cadier, got there a little late, but it was quite busy in the waiting room, Blake is more aware now when he is going to the hospital and kept saying he didn't want to see the doctors, but he was alright after I explained it was just a quick visit and that they were not going to be looking at his ears this time.

We didn't have to wait to long before Nicola (our cleft nurse) came to call us through, it's odd as I always feel a little nervous at that point but its something I cant really explain. Blake was nice and calm so he didn't seem worried at all. He sat on my knee in the room while Mr Cadier had a look at his lip, Straight away he told us he didn't think the surgery was necessary! that his lip looked great, he asked whether people commented or noticed, but in all honesty I don't get many comments anymore people don't usually see the scar although it more prominent in the winter time, not many people notice unless we point it out. Mr Cadier said his lip had definitely settled down since we last discussed the surgery option last year which was my initial thought and what a relief. Looks like its all gravy!

So it looks like Blake will be having Christmas dinner after all! :)

I am so glad we had this meeting, it would have been awful to wait till Christmas then find out it wasn't needed so lots of stress and worry avoided We have a fantastic Cleft team and appreciate them arranging this meeting for us. Mr Cadier said he will see Blake next when he is 5 year old and then see how his face has changed as to whether he needs the surgery later, which is a possibility.

I am so pleased he doesn't have to go through this surgery so close to Christmas... It wouldn't have been much fun for him and we all want our children to be happy as it is the season to be jolly!!
All I can do know is watch him grow and keep my eye on his ears for any ear infections and watch and listen to his speech for any changes, Blake has a great key worker at his pre-school watching over him so I will have help regarding this which is great. So far he is really enjoying his time away from Mummy he's making new friends and learning new things. I find myself feeling a little lost! I have been told he is very confident and I cant tell you how proud this makes me feel.

I look forward to writing my next post :) goodbye for now !



1 comment: