Blake's Journey

Blake Tyler James Fenton born on the 17th June 2011


''This blog is about a journey through pregnancy, finding out that our child would be born with a Cleft lip & Palate, and also coping with a rare pregnancy condition. Dealing with the everything that comes our way, as a family. Caring and supporting our beautiful son Blake... and his amazing big sister Tia, this blog has been written by me, Jemma Kathleen Fenton (was Paley) in the hope that it touches many peoples hearts as Blake has touched ours. My goal is to help raise
awareness and money, I hope to helps other parents going through the same situation.''
I am happy to support any parents out there you can contact me through email: brassbuttons@hotmail.co.uk

Saturday 3 October 2015

The future holds....

Hi there!

Well gosh where to start, so many things have happened that I don't think I can squeeze it all in without rambling! Probably should start with some good news we will soon have a new addition to our family! and no its not a dog or a cat and yes it is a BABY!!!!
Which was a surprise but a exciting one! and with it comes a funny story, believe it or not it was Blake who told me I was pregnant. We were having cuddles on the couch one day back in April and he was rubbing my tummy and he said ''Mummy you have a baby in your tummy'' I laughed and said no Blake but he insisted I was and we all had a giggle and Tia joined in teasing me too.
I shrugged it off and told Chris later on in the evening... to which he replied ''maybe hes like his mother!'' I thought about what he had said and did think I had been incredibly tired lately so I took a test about week or so later and could not believe it when it came back positive!!! Blake had been right....

Again it has been a struggle I am now 22 weeks and have been in and out of hospital having blood tests every week due to my Obstetric Colostasis. I had started itching early again so told the midwife at my 12 week scan. It was inevitable I would get it again and it was confirmed at 21 weeks so I have been put on medication to help protect the baby from stillbirth. The run up to my 20 week can was very stressful I was so nervous about it, but I didn't have that feeling I had when I was pregnant with Blake, but even so my hands were shaking when I went into the scan room.
I was feeling quite emotional so I was glad the children were at school for this one but they did both attend our 12 week scan which they found fascinating...
The sonographer could see I was stressed and asked why, so we explained about Blake and my last pregnancy she was very understanding and told us not to worry and she would check as best she could for a Cleft.

She did a detailed check of the baby, and zoomed into check the baby's lip, she told us she could not detect a cleft and that from her point of view the lip was OK, we could see on the large screen as she was showing us, I did become a little teary knowing this child wont have to go through what Blake has fills me with relief having to watch your child go through so much is heart wrenching. the Sonographer said she could not comment on the palate as they are unable tell from a normal scan. So we will just have to wait and see at the time of birth, but if it happens we can get through it with out a doubt.

I have to go back for scans and bloods now at 24, 28, 32 and 36 weeks to check the baby is OK. It is highly likely I will be induced early, so we are probably looking at another January Baby. I will be back at Salisbury hospital on the 23rd October for my 24 week scan. This pregnancy has been very different from my last two, I have not had any sickness which has been fantastic to be honest,  but it's not perfect I have been so ill and seem to be catching every virus going so no pregnancy glow unfortunately! stress doesn't help and there's a lot going around within our families, My mums not very well so we will be going to see her this October half term. Tia and Blake are really looking forward to that! hopefully we will get to see family and friends!

Anyway enough about me lets here a bit about our gorgeous Blake who has changed so much and come n in leaps and bounds over the past few months! hes like a proper little dude now! absolutely loves anything to do with superheroes, ninja turtles and lego! he had a fantastic 4th birthday with a Batman theme! he loved the cake I made him too, and of course he was dressed as the dark knight himself. Everyone had a fantastic time, he made a strong group of friends at pre school and they all attended the party so he was very happy.

So as you know when you turn 4 before September that only means one thing right! yes BIG SCHOOL!!!
Blake was accepted to the same school as Tia I must say he is doing fabulous I had no major problems taking him in on his first half day we went into class found his peg to hang his coat and put his juice cup away in the tray! he was a little nervous so I stayed for about ten minutes till he choose an activity then I sneaked out the door.
They started off with half days to settle in for a couple of weeks, then they stay till lunch then its full days, Blake seemed to cope really well. Some parents feel sad when there children start big school but all I can honestly say is I felt so so proud of him, all the issues I was told he might have due to his condition and he has proved everyone wrong! he's great at making friends, his speech is good considering the whole of his mouth was affected by his cleft and he is super confident and has a brilliant imagination. He has still got lots to learn and does seem a little behind with writing, but I have every confidence in him.
Don't get me wrong hes not perfect, he can be a cheeky monkey at times but my god does he make me laugh! and when he says ''MUMMY YOUR THE BEST COOKER EVER'' after dinner time well what can I say apart from.... ''go get your pudding then''  I love my children and cant wait for the new addition the question on everyone's lips is will it be  GIRL or a BOY?? according to Blake its a Boy !! I wonder if he will he be right again.

We unfortunately have had some sadness over the summer holidays which has had a massive impact on our family sadly our beautiful Candy had to be put to sleep as she became very unwell and there was nothing the vet could do to help her, she was found to have tumors in her spleen which had viciously spread very quickly to her liver. We had to tell the kids that Candy was very poorly and might not get better. When we got that phone call from the vet it broke our heats,Candy has been with us since Tia was a baby.
Chris and I made the decision to go and put her to sleep when we arrived we were taken to see her, she was lying in a create and looked so poorly.
Soon as she saw me she struggled to get up but seemed determined to came straight to me,  I could see she was in so much pain, but she wanted me to make fuss of her, We had cuddles for about ten minutes, and I couldn't help but sob it was so hard knowing what we had to do, then she got up and got back in the create. The vet asked if we wanted to be there while the put her to sleep  for me it was an easy answer as they was no way I would leave her and she passed away in my arms. We all miss her terribly and telling the children was just awful. We have had her cremated and that way the children know shes in a way still with us.
Blake went with his Daddy to collect her ashes two weeks later, when he got back he was so sad and said ''Mummy Candy isn't a doggy anymore'' and that really broke my heart all I could do was comfort him with a hug and tell him that I knew but at least she was now back home with us now.

Gosh feeling quite emotional now but to end this post on a positive note we have has some good news also!
I passed my driving test in the summer holidays and I just know my Auntie Dawn was with me in the back seat that day! We currently have Auntie Clare visiting which has been a god send to me with me being so ill.
Chris has also had a work promotion too! so lots of things have been happening. This year has flown by and it will be Christmas in the blink of an eye! one of the things I am really looking forward to is the School Christmas play I wonder how Blake will do !!
Don't worry I will keep you posted!

Thank you for reading!

lots of love
Mummypig.


                                 R.I.P Candy  'Addy' We loved you so much forever in our hearts!








No comments:

Post a Comment