Blake's Journey

Blake Tyler James Fenton born on the 17th June 2011


''This blog is about a journey through pregnancy, finding out that our child would be born with a Cleft lip & Palate, and also coping with a rare pregnancy condition. Dealing with the everything that comes our way, as a family. Caring and supporting our beautiful son Blake... and his amazing big sister Tia, this blog has been written by me, Jemma Kathleen Fenton (was Paley) in the hope that it touches many peoples hearts as Blake has touched ours. My goal is to help raise
awareness and money, I hope to helps other parents going through the same situation.''
I am happy to support any parents out there you can contact me through email: brassbuttons@hotmail.co.uk

Friday 10 January 2020

Omg Blake is 9 this year!!!

Hello everyone!!

 It's been few years since my last post I can only apologise! Sometimes it is like being in a bob sleigh... moving way to fast down the track!

A lot has happened and if I lold you everything I will be writing all week long! So I will keep it as short as I can.

Blake has been having regular check ups with Salisbury hospital, since having Grommets fitted in both ears his hearing is so much better, and he is doing well in school his last parents evening went very well, I did come out of the room feeling proud as punch.

Last summer we went to cornwall for our family holiday! We stayed in launceston in a town house! We decided to ditch the tent that year. Our first morning there I noticed blood was all over Blake's left ear (this is his cleft side) I cleaned it up and didn't notice any cuts so came to the conclusion it must be something to do with his grommet.

We decided to pop to the local hospital in the town just to get it checked out, we didn't have to wait too long and the staff were amazing they decided to refer us over to the local medical centre. We saw a very nice doctor who explained the grommets were possibly on there way out he gave us some anti-biotics and sent us on our way which pleased the kids as we were going to loo bay for the rest of the day! It was a great holiday.

Blake's hearing dipped a little and his teachers also noticed so I made an appointment with hospital just to make sure it was all ok. While we were there I asked about Blake's bone graft as we hadn't heard anything since Blake had his grommets fitted, he's now 8 so it's nearing the usual time it can happen. The registrar said she would chase it up for us.

Halloween, bonfire night, Christmas and New years came and went and have been amazing ! I must say this year hasn't been half bad! My Mum and Dad have been living close by for nearly two years now! Kids love it lots of sleep overs, and quality time for them.

I had to phone the hospital in the end as I still had not recieved a letter and waiting is the worst thing ever, turned out they had our holiday house address on file still even though I asked for it to be removed, these things happen just glad I followed up.

We waited and recieved a surgical appointment with the cleft team which we attended today! 10.01.20. Blake was very nervous as he wasn't sure what was going to happen but he was amazing he listened carfully and asked questions and as always the team quickly put him as ease. (The Salisbury cleft team really are great)

Blake had to sit in a big green chair while his teeth were checked, they commented on his lovely clean teeth so that definitely made me smile I always tell him how important it is to have good teeth. They then asked Blake if they could do an Xrays to see what was going on with all his teeth inside something new for him to experience.

Blake insisted I go in with him, he did good and quickly realised it wasn't all that bad definitely a learning experience also as the team then explained what was what and what was where and what they wanted to do next!

So we have learned that the bone graft wont be till next year! He has to have an extra tooth removed which is hiding behind a front tooth! This will be happening on the 31.01.20 (Tia's birthday!) Then in April they want to fit him with a brace to straighten up that front tooth so they can then see the gap better! Blake was a trooper today really proud of him! He's definitely pleased the bone graft isn't happening yet! I am pleased we now know what will be happening this year!!

Guys! Can you believe Blake is 9 this year!!
Xander will be 4 this month and starting primary in September
Tià is 11 at the end of the month and my baby girl is going to BIG school..... I can't cope this isn't happening I actually feel a little freaked out by this.

Anyway I will keep you all posted and will have some splendid pictures with my next post thank you for reading it means a lot. I hope everyone is doing well much love to all your little and not so little ones !!

Hugs and kisses
Xxxx









No comments:

Post a Comment