Blake's Journey

Blake Tyler James Fenton born on the 17th June 2011


''This blog is about a journey through pregnancy, finding out that our child would be born with a Cleft lip & Palate, and also coping with a rare pregnancy condition. Dealing with the everything that comes our way, as a family. Caring and supporting our beautiful son Blake... and his amazing big sister Tia, this blog has been written by me, Jemma Kathleen Fenton (was Paley) in the hope that it touches many peoples hearts as Blake has touched ours. My goal is to help raise
awareness and money, I hope to helps other parents going through the same situation.''
I am happy to support any parents out there you can contact me through email: brassbuttons@hotmail.co.uk

Wednesday 20 August 2014

Keep on swimming!!

Hello everyone! its been a while since my last post! I do apologize It has been an incredibly busy few months. We had a visit to Yorkshire in February and ended up bringing my brother down for a while, which the kids loved! they really put Uncle John through the mill he became a human climbing frame, l but he didn't seem to mind. My brother is a fantastic cook and while he was down really helped me out, it was good having someone to talk and felt like we had some quality time as brother and sister its hard being so far away from family and friends I cant tell you what a joy it was to see my children bond with there Uncle. I was pretty sad when he decided to go back to Yorkshire few months later, but I am sure he will come visit again the kids really miss him, the other day Tia made me laugh ''Mummy I really miss Uncle John, but not his spicy curry.''

February was full of highs and lows one of my good friends passed away suddenly which came as a huge shock to everyone and she will be sadly missed she was a great support while I was pregnant with Blake.
Her family put on a beautiful service and I met some of her relatives and even bumped into 'Aunt Sally' who was my Auntie Dawns sister in law :( she said ''Jemma we must stop meeting like this'' I couldn't agree more.
So I would just like to say R.I.P Sandra I will think of you often xxxx

I must say Blake's words and sentences have been coming along beautifully hes doing so well, Tia has been a great help with this as shes really enjoying school. He likes to listen to her read her school books at bedtime.
His favorite book at the moment is The Gruffilo I think he likes the different accents that I do for the characters I am rather impressed with my SSSssssnake, SSSssssoooo SSSsssscary.
Blake's personality has dramatically changed since my last post he is a proper boy I blame Uncle John .... letting him watch Power Rangers HAHA.. Hes totally besotted with super hero's now Spiderman, Batman anything Marvel, but he also loves Scooby Doo, Bob the builder and Fire man Sam!

So as it was coming up to Blake's 3rd Birthday!! I know I cant believe where the times gone either, I needed a idea for his party I wasn't sure I could top the Mr Potato head theme. We decided to hire a bigger space this year as its just so hard having it at home, We got a fab place called Just dance studio where Tia goes to ballet, its such a brilliant space and there a gorgeous garden area which is an incredible space, so we decided on a Teddy bears picnic, We also thought a bouncy castle would really entertain the children which Uncle John paid for as his gift to Blake. I have to say it was a fantastic day. Blake had a great turnout its always a great time to see friends, we catered ourselves and I made the birthday cake with a teddy bear theme.

I cant tell you how stressed I was that day, I think I may have been over compensating... as I know that Blake is due his second lip op and this time he will be aware of whats going on. That a side all in all it was my favorite party yet. The kids slept very well that night :) We had Blake's party on the Saturday his birthday was on the 17th June he was pretty happy with his presents, especially the Scooby doo & batman DVD, We got him a new scooter as well his face was a picture.



Last year Chris took the kids to buy a tent on one of the days I went to visit my Auntie Dawn, they were not able to visit her in hospital as she was on a secure ward. I told her what they were up to she thought it was a great idea, we talked about when we went to Weymouth when we were little, which was one of the best holidays I  had as a child. We didn't go camping that summer. :( with her and my Uncle passing we wouldn't have enjoyed it.

I was thinking about her one evening and remembered we had bought the tent So me and Chris thought lets give camping a go only for one night just to see if the kids liked it, and if so we could go somewhere in the summer holidays! thankfully it went down really well and we booked 4 nights in Cornwall in Looe Bay, Mum used to tell me when I was little that she went there on holiday there as a child, and we thought what a great place to go in memory of Auntie Dawn, as our holiday was on the anniversary of her passing.

Unfortunately the weather wasn't looking great for the holiday as we were getting the aftermath from Hurricane Bertha! but we decided to still go rain or shine... and Bertha.  It took about hour and a half to get the tent up the wind was crazy! Mum was right it was a beautiful place, we were even staying at the campsite they went to as children. It was quite busy lots of people around we took Blake swimming for the first time and I was impressed he loved it! We have a pool up the road so I think ill have to take him up there to see if we ave a fish in the family!



We went into Looe and looked around the shops, had the most amazing fish and chips, and walked to the beach, the weather was rather disappointing on the Monday and Tuesday but we made the best of it,  Tia and Blake made some friends on the last day, Angel and Harvey they were lovely and the weather took a turn for the better, I think Auntie Dawn was looking down on us, We decided to go to another beach area called Tallard Bay and it turned out Angel and Harvey were going too. When we found a spot to sit I pondered on what I could do to honor my Auntie Dawn as it was a year ago that day since we lost her. we decided to write her name in the sand and took a picture. It was a camping holiday to remember bring on next year!!



We have been home a week or so now, and the summer holidays are nearly over! This September Blake starts Pre-School, So this week I arranged his settling in days for this week. He has had his first session he was quite excited in the morning but when Me and Tia were going to leave he was a little unsure, so we had to sneak out when he wasn't looking. Me and Tia had some girly time and I treated her to chocolate milkshake at one of the local cafe's I didn't want to go to far away silly really... its hard to let go isn't it? I am actually glad I had Tia with me, I think it will be odd when he goes in September full time what will I do??? he isn't a baby anymore he's a little dude with a cool hair cut :)

Today we went to Salisbury Hospital Blake's 3 year check, it went pretty well, but he really wasn't happy about having anyone looking in his ears he thought it was going to hurt bless him ! We were a little late so someone went in before us so Blake and Tia got to sample the new play area while we waited. Now that Blake is three we had to go somewhere different for his hearing test, so that also meant a new nurse, Blake was a little anxious at first and didn't want to co-operate at first, till she got the new game out! he sat on Chris's knee, for the test he had put something in a tub every time he heard the noise he did well, and I think he won the nurse over with his cheeky grin :) he even let her test his ears at the end with a special machine.

Next we went on to Speech therapy unit, We saw Mr Geyer who is Blake's ENT Consultant We discussed the hearing test and his future options and we both agreed that at this time we feel hes doing well even though he still has fluid in his left ear its worth waiting to see what happens with the glue ear, currently his speech isn't so much being affected by this, Me and Chris as his parents think Blake's coming along very well with his speech, words and sentences this is something we are constantly on top of and we tend to notice when things change, cant tell you all how proud I am of Blake and it just goes to show you your child having a cleft is not the end of the world! there is light at the end of the tunnel.

We have been on Mr Cadier's waiting list for a year now and still haven't received an appointment so Mr Geyer went to have this addressed this with the Cleft team, while we saw the speech therapist  Blake was great and again she was happy with Blake and said she did not feel he needed to see anyone regarding speech outside of the hospital, but obviously if we has any worries to contact her and the team for advice or a meeting. We then saw out Cleft nurse Nicola who has been with us from the get go, shes brilliant its always so nice to see her she is part of our secure cleft bubble she is fantastic with Blake. She has told us that there are two possible op dates available one in November and another in December! the thing is one is with a new surgeon Marc Swan (awesome name by the way) or Mr Cadier and our first choice is Mr Cadier for obvious reasons only thing is the dates 23rd December ......

AND breath....... not to worry I'm pretty organized :) but does that mean Blake cant eat Christmas dinner? I will have to ask in the next meeting on the 10th September it's always GO GO GO GO.... in our house.

P.S Chris and I had our 1st wedding anniversary in May :)
and I celebrated my 30th Birthday with friend and family!!

So guys  hope you look forward to my next post !! as Dora says from Nemo...

''keep on swimming keep on swimming''












No comments:

Post a Comment