Blake's Journey

Blake Tyler James Fenton born on the 17th June 2011


''This blog is about a journey through pregnancy, finding out that our child would be born with a Cleft lip & Palate, and also coping with a rare pregnancy condition. Dealing with the everything that comes our way, as a family. Caring and supporting our beautiful son Blake... and his amazing big sister Tia, this blog has been written by me, Jemma Kathleen Fenton (was Paley) in the hope that it touches many peoples hearts as Blake has touched ours. My goal is to help raise
awareness and money, I hope to helps other parents going through the same situation.''
I am happy to support any parents out there you can contact me through email: brassbuttons@hotmail.co.uk

Friday 14 October 2011

Getting poorly...

OK so as the pregnancy progressed my OC really started to kick in, to the point where I was having to visit the day unit twice a week for baby monitoring and bloods! I swear the Midwives all new me by first name after a couple of weeks, they all really looked after me. I felt ill, really ill and the hospital trips were getting to me.  In some ways I felt like a pin cushion with all the blood tests I was having to have, I was finding it very hard to sleep as well so I was tired all the time Chris was worried about me and the baby, and I think even Tia was wondering what on earth was going on!

Non the less it had to be done as my Bile Acid levels were hitting 31 then dropping and going back up which is not great and my ATL's were up and down, this wasn't good for my liver. As soon as I was diagnosed from the beginning I was put on medication called urso, I had to up the dosage a few times, I also had Piriton on tap to help with the itching  My uncle Arran starting helping out even chauffeuring me to and from hospital he was brilliant!  I was really starting to get frustrated and worried about my baby, with my Bile Acid levels being up and down. I was so scared I might lose him  All I wanted to know was whether I was going to be Induced! just waiting for that tiny piece of information was agonizing.

My pregnancy was being high jacked! it wasn't the enjoyable experience I would have liked in fact it made me feel very depressed and angry I often wondered why me? but I had to pull myself together as it wasn't just the OC and cleft to worry about I had my beautiful little girl to look after. I had to hide my fear and sadness from her, Tia and Chris were my rocks, they kept me going.  Thankfully Chris's sister Beka came to stay with us for a while, She also became a rock for us all. She was a godsend, she really cheered me up it was great having her company during the day and she was brilliant with Tia, Chris enjoyed having her around as well, We were sad to see her go home!  I really appreciated her being there for us, and I did cry a bit when she left.

Throughout my pregnancy my Mother was brilliant, she lives in Yorkshire so it was so hard being so far away not just for me but for her... I'm her little girl and she couldn't comfort me! but I went up to visit as much as I could. My Mum and Dad were coming down to Dorset to help the week before the birth and we finally were told I was going to be induced! it was like a massive weight was lifted. They decided That I was to go to 39 weeks, just like my first pregnancy. Labor - Day 17th June 2011 ! I was straight on the phone to my Mum! then I let my Dad know as he was coming from France to collect my Mum. I couldn't wait to see them.I was practically bouncing off the walls with excitement!

During the last month I wanted to help with the OC research so Jenny Chambers sent me a kit to give to the midwives at my labor, it would involve them taking a piece of my placenta and sending it to London. I asked the midwives at the hospital whether they would mind doing this and they didn't seem too keen, which disappointing me dearly, but I decided to talk it along anyway.

Mum and Dad arrived a week before my Induction so we made the most of it Tia loved having her Nanna and Grandpapie around and of course she was spoiled rotten! as the Induction loomed I was getting really tired and my hips were starting to really hurt I started to think about my baby and how he would look and if we would bond straight away! and I was worried about what people would think so I requested a room of my own, I wanted to be able to bond with my little man in peace and not have preying eyes and questions!
I thought about all that we had been told and thought this is going to be a long journey! but I'm totally ready for it! All I wanted was for my baby to be in my arms and my body back! lol the pain was getting worse.

The evening before my Induction I could hardly walk up the stairs I actually thought I'm going to go into natural labor!! Chris helped me to bed, I know my Mum was worried, but I must say I had the best nights sleep i'd had in months! We got up early filled the car with all the essentials, Labor bag, water, yum yums, magazines, you name it we had it! woke Mum and told her i'd rang the ward and that I was going in, she said "OK love i'll see you soon" and gave me a kiss.  The plan was she would meet us at the hospital later as sometimes Induction can take days, but I knew he was destined to be born on this day!

We got to the hospital and I gave my notes to the Midwife making sure they new I was having a Cleft baby, The Midwifes on duty were wonderful and very caring they really made me feel at ease. Chris was brilliant, he was really supportive texting keeping people up to date, Finally I was going to be Induced at 10.30am, at this point I remembered i had forgot the research kit and scolded myself for forgetting it, now I was disappointed in myself. as I really wanted to help other woman going through this bizarre condition.

Now I was getting nervous but I new positive thinking was the key to a calm labor and with the help of my trusted tense machine of course! my best friend .... which I nearly didn't have because they had discontinued the pads that go with my model but I managed to locate the very very last packed in a store in Bradford!!! Chris's Sister collected them and sent me them down in the post what a life saver!! All I wanted was my tense machine and Gas and Air for pain relief. No other drugs if I could help it, I have a high pain thresh hold.

I new I would only need the one Pessary Gel to start my contractions it was the same with my first Labor soon at it started I told the midwife whom was surprised! she hooked me up to the monitor to keep an eye on the baby and the contractions, this had to be done because of my OC condition. Chris also hooked me up to my best friend the contractions were mild at first but they started to get stronger... Chris messaged my Mum... She messaged back that I was going to be fine.. I had a feeling she wasn't coming. I was scared by the thought of not having her there, Chris could see the worry etched on my face, he said "Jemma its going to be fine you have me!" he was my rock. I knew there had to be a good reason she couldn't be there.

I was moved to my own room at about 4.15pm the pain was becoming intense I was thankful that meant I could get my hands on the yummy Gas and Air!!! things started to move quickly and the contractions were getting real painful, had my first suck on the Gas and Air and boy did it help and boy did it make me laugh Chris said "oh god not again"  remembering my first labor I happily sang Eye of the Tiger from the rocky movie!

I was High as a kite after a few minutes and started laughing my head off then I snorted ! oops so I then started singing Peppa Pig! Bless him he was little embarrassed but the trainee midwife giggled, then the contractions were so bad I couldn't laugh anymore it was time to focus on the task at hand bringing my baby into the world. The midwife that had been with me throughout told us her shift was over soon and that there was going to be a shift change.. I was a little upset as she had been amazing. My new Midwife was informed and we got to know each other quickly.. they discussed breaking my waters. this was not going to happen I felt like my like my pelvis had been head butted and I told Chris, It was a weird feeling then 5 minutes later my waters broke on there own!

It was very very fast from then out, I had to push  with every contraction finally his head emerged then on that next push my contraction died! his head was stuck till the next one came, and it came after what seemed like an eternity! and I pushed and pushed!  then at 8.57pm my Baby Boy was laying in my arms....
My first thoughts was my god  the cleft it isn't bad at all... he's so gorgeous! and wow he looks just like Tia did! We were so proud of our gorgeous boy.. he was a whopping 8lb 10oz big for me as I'm only 5'2! he looked like a boxer, our little bruiser. The love engulfed me as I held my Boy! I was elated and drunk on my love for my Blake my Cleft baby, I bonded instantly like a Lioness to her Cub... protective and fierce, loving and strong. Happy and very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment